Monday, October 19, 2015

Reiki Music and Pedialyte

I found an interesting combination yesterday.

I spent the whole day fighting a cold. When I am sick, I usually experience spikes of random emotions. This time around, I only one episode (which was caused when someone was trying to help me with my computer and kept clicking really hard on the mouse pad). Thinking about yesterday, I could only find two differences from the typical way I handle sick days.

The first is the type of music I was listening to. I recently discovered some YouTube channels that posted hours of music to help people sleep and heal by balancing their chakras. By playing these songs at night, I have found I can sleep deeper and wake up more refreshed. Yesterday, I kept playing the videos of reiki music throughout the day. Growing up in a Buddhist family means that I have gone through various meditation sessions and tried to improve my well-being by cleaning my internal energy and absorbing the natural energy around me. It may have just been a placebo effect from what I have been taught, but I am really sure this helped prevent my sickly mood swings.

The second, more 'scientific' method is Pedialyte. This is water containing electrolytes that is meant to help babies maintain a healthy level of minerals in their body since they cannot eat yet. My non-existent appetite was making it difficult to eat good food, so my family had me drink cups of Pedialyte every few hours. I noticed that after each cup, I had a bit more energy and could stay awake for longer periods of time. I have a bit more confidence that this drink helped keep my emotions in check since the trace minerals probably kept my hormones more balanced.

Well, these are my thoughts on the efforts to get out of a cold quickly. While I shake off the grogginess created by the Nyquil that helped me sleep through the night, I ask you who stumbled here, "Do these methods seem like a viable way to aid the sick? Or do you believe something else would be more effective?"

No comments:

Post a Comment